Saturday, November 20, 2010

Butternut Squash & Acorn Squash Harvest Soup

I have a really awesome cooking club made up of some talented & caring ladies. We meet once a month and everyone brings a different course to share. Then we sit around and talk about how good each other's food is. Plus we laugh a lot.


This month's theme for cooking club: Autumn!


I had the soup this time and I've always wanted to make something with butternut squash (this is because I have a secret obsession with butternut squash ravioli). I had a lot of fun going to market to get the squash this week.


It was hysterical to watch me cut them open and seed them. It was dangerous! I thought I was going to cut myself open! It's hard to cut the squash into halves before you warm them. I've never cooked with anything like that before. I couldn't stop giggling. And every little thing I did was a mini victory. It was a rewarding cooking experience. The smell & the taste were so good & well worth all the trouble. I'm really happy with how it turned out.



Ingredients:


  • 1 butternut squash, halved and seeded
  • 1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
  • 1/2 cup of half & half
  • 1 quart fat free chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • ground cinnamon to taste
  • fresh parsley, for garnish



Directions:



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the squash halves cut side down in a baking dish. Bake 45 minutes, or until tender. 

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion until tender.




Remove squash from heat, and cool slightly. Scoop the pulp from the skins. Discard skins.




In a blender or food processor, blend the squash pulp, onion, broth, brown sugar, half & half, cream cheese, pepper, and cinnamon until smooth. This may be done in several batches.




Transfer the soup to a pot over medium heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. 





    Transfer to slow-cooker to keep warm. 




    Garnish with parsley, and serve warm




    I would love to know that you visited my blog or tried out a recipe. Leave me some love & encouragement!

    No comments:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...