Monday, December 26, 2011

Homemade Italian Bread Wedges With Dipping Oil



August's Cooking Club theme was herbs. I used AllRecipes.com ingredients search to find a starch side dish recipe. I came across these flatbread wedges. It was quite a challenge since I've never made bread before, but they turned out great. 


I love the bread they give you at Macaroni Grill & dipping it in the olive oil so I wanted to mix in spices/herbs with my olive oil to create the same idea. I don't have an herb garden and I'm not very good at keeping my herbs fresh, but Darrenkamp's has these great mini herb packets that are sometimes on sale for 99 cents that are perfect for me. I used them to create both the bread & olive oil recipe. 


DIPPING OIL RECIPE:
Mix a few sprigs/leaves of basil, thyme, rosemary, & oregano in an empty jar or olive oil container/dispenser. Pour in about 1 or 2 cups of virgin olive oil and let sit for 2 to 3 days.  


BREAD RECIPE:

Ingredients:
3 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp salt
3+ cups whole wheat flour (you can use regular flour or bread flour but this is all I have)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup grated fresh mozzarella cheese






Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. 
Pour yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water and let it dissolve.
Add the sugar and let stand for a few minutes.
Add the salt, oil, remaining water, and at least 2 cups of flour.
Mix until smooth.
Stir in additional flour until dough is soft and not too sticky.
Place onto floured surface and kneed for about 8 minutes.
Place in a greased bowl and turn so all surfaces of the dough get greased.
Cover the bowl.
Let rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
Take out and place on floured surface.
Pat dough flat.
Let rest for 5 minutes. 
Press into a greased 14 x 9 in pan or cookie sheet.
Cover with garlic powder, oregano, thyme, pepper, & cheese.
Bake at 450 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. 






What do you think? Comments? Suggestions? I would love to know that you visited my blog. Please leave me a message letting me know you were here! Did you try out a recipe? Let me know! I would love to hear from you :-)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...