I had a lot of leftover apples, plus extra ingredients lying around so I decided to make another. However, I only had one pie crust, so I went ahead and just made pie crust from scratch. I've never done it before. Don't get excited, it wasn't pretty or anything, but it was still fun. I haven't mastered that whole pretty criss-cross crust covering.
I would've tried but I ran out of dough. Also, the results did not turn out to well in the edible-sense. The graham cracker crust version was really good. But I thought that the homemade pie crust tasted & smelled funny. Of course my audience was too polite to admit it. But it left a weird after taste. Do you think it was the amount of shortening I used? It called for 2/3 cups. I felt like I could taste the shortening. It tasted really bitter. Or maybe it was the flour? I heard that flour can go bad if you have it for too long. Is that true? Well, whatever it was, better luck next time.
YOUR TURN: Help! Do you have any good pie crust recipes that you've used? Have you mastered the criss cross technique? I'd appreciate any pie crust advice! Thanks.
Below is the recipe for the apple pie with already made pie crust. ENJOY!
- graham cracker pie crust
- 3 granny smith apples, cubed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
2. Combine apples, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and allspice in a bowl.
6. Cut in butter until mixture becomes coarse crumbs.
7. Top the apple mixture with the crumb mixture.
8. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
9. Lower temperature to 350 degrees and cook for an additional 20 to 30 minutes. Top should be golden brown and filling should be bubbly.
I'm trying to be more organized in the kitchen. Whenever I set out to make a new recipe I tend to make a whole mess and then leave it for my husband to clean up after me. I tried to be more organized today by measuring everything out ahead of time. Ya know, like they do on those cooking shows??? Yeah well, that lasted all about 5 minutes. But it felt good for those 5 minutes.
I would love to know that you visited my blog or tried out a recipe. Leave me some love & encouragement!