Monday, July 11, 2011

Santa Fe Pancakes (Inspired by Pancake Pantry)


We recently went on vacation with our friends to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. We all took turns cooking each day. For breakfast my husband & I made Zucchini Quiche. But that was not the main attraction. My husband is obsessed with these Santa Fe Pancakes from The Pancake Pantry in Nashville. We got to visit our friends, Matty & Tricia in Nashville every year that they've lived there and each time we make sure to squeeze in a trip to The Pancake Pantry before we leave. (Did I mention I saw Taylor Swift the last time we went to Nashville???) The pancakes at the Pancake Pantry are actually called the Village Smithy COLO Santa Fe Pancakes because they are from the Village Smithy restaurant in Carbondale, Colorado. Well, thank goodness we were able to track down this recipe and create it for our friends for breakfast. My husband did most of the work and they turned out great. They are really delicious and quite unusual. 



Ingredients:
3/4 cup UNBLEACHED flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 & 3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 & 1/4 cups buttermilk 
2 large eggs
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted & cooled
6 slices cooked bacon broken up into quarters
1 small can chopped roasted green chiles
4 green onions, diced
4 oz cheddar cheese slices, broken into smaller pieces



Directions:
Mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, & salt in a large bowl. 
In a separate bowl whisk buttermilk, eggs, & butter.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
Spray a medium pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into pan. 
Right away top with the bacon, onions, cheese, & chiles (see picture above).
When the bottom is cooked (more than minute) then flip to the other side and cook for another minute. [This is an estimate, you may have to make the first few pancakes your practice ones.]
Repeat with remaining batter. 
Serve with honey, syrup, and hot sauce. YUMMO!




Those are some happy kids!

What do you think? Comments? Suggestions? I would love to know that you visited my blog. Please leave me a message letting me know you were here! Did you try out a recipe? Let me know! I would love to hear from you :-)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for this recipe for a while now. These are also my favorite pancakes when I visit the Pantry. Thanks! I'll be sure to make some next week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...