Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cheddar Beef Enchiladas


This cook book is amazing! My brother-in-law and sister-in-law are in town so we had a family gathering. When my other sister-in-law called and wanted to know if I wanted to cook the entree the only question that came to mind was "What recipe from Freezer Pleasers should I use???" I went with enchiladas because that's always a people-pleaser. The recipe I used was double-portions. It was enough to serve 16 people. So you might want to cut the ingredients in half if you make this yourself. I made enough enchiladas to fill two casserole dishes. One I brought over for dinner and the other I can keep in the freezer for the next 2 months. Which will be a huge time-saver in the near future. (The book is all about how to do this!)


Ingredients:
  • 2 lb. ground beef
  • 16 12 inch wheat tortillas
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning
  • 1 large can of corn
  • 1 large can of diced tomatoes (with green chiles)
  • 1 large can of fat free refried beans
  • 1 box of instant brown rice
  • 1 can of low fat cream of chicken soup
  • 2 - 3 cans of reduced fat shredded cheddar/mexican cheese


Directions:
    1. In a large skillet,  brown the ground beef
    2. Meanwhile, in a small pot, boil water & add 3 - 4 cups of brown rice to cook
    3. Stir in water & taco seasoning to ground beef
    4. Add corn, undrained
    5. Add half of diced tomatoes, undrained
    6. Simmer on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until liquid is evaporated
    7. Meanwhile, spread 1 to 2 tbsp of refried beans on each tortilla
    8. Put about 1/4 cup of rice on each tortilla
    9. Add 1/3 cup of shredded cheese on each tortilla
    10. Top with about 1/2 cup of beef mixture
    11. Wrap up each tortilla and place in 13 x 9 casserole dish
    12. Meanwhile, mix other half of diced tomatoes with cream of chicken soup 
    13. Pour over tortillas in casserole dish
    14. In a preheated 350 degree oven bake casserole for 20 to 25 minutes.




      

    I would love to know that you visited my blog or tried out a recipe. Leave me some love & encouragement!

    4 comments:

    jill said...

    I'm impressed- sorry we missed out on the family meal. I'm sure it was goooood!
    ~ your cuisine queen sis in law

    adastoltzfooscm@comcast.net said...

    This dish is very good! I know I had some!

    trishycat said...

    i want to go to there!

    thewwchick said...

    YUM! I'll have to try this recipe first. Just picked up the book Friday evening.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...