Monday, October 18, 2010

Magic Cookie Bars

Continuing my sentimental-kick I decided to whip up some Magic Bars like I did back in college. It's from one of my mom's classic mini-cookbooks. It calls for two cans of condensed milk which I've pretty much NEVER used before except for when I make these magic cookie bars. So I've had these cans in my cupboard lying around for a very long time and I was scared to use them. But the internet is a beautiful thing. I did some research and unopened cans of evaporated milk pretty much last forever. PHEW. But I had to run out and get more anyway for the butterfinger dessert I made. I love to make these because they are easy to make, but still very good. However, I know a handful of people that don't like coconut so it's not always the best choice. Because the coconut flakes MAKE the dish. I refuse to make it without the coconut. I took them to a cook-out this weekend and even though some of the guests didn't like coconut they still enjoyed the treat. Yum!

(Side Note: Any basic recipe for cookie bars you can find on the side of a can for sweetened condensed milk.)

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup of graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/2 cup of butter, melted
  • 1 bag of 12 oz semi-sweet tiny chocolate chip morsels
  • 2 cans of sweetened condensed fat free milk
  • 1 cup coconut flakes
  • sprinkles (optional)


Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Mix graham cracker crumbs with butter and press into bottom of 2 8 by 8 inch square baking pans/dishes.
  • Top each pan with 1 can of condensed milk,  spread evenly.
  • Top with coconut flakes, chocolate chips, and sprinkles (!!!!)
  • Bake in oven for 40 minutes. (Note: You may have to cook longer for the fat free milk).


I would love to know that you visited my blog or tried out a recipe. Leave me some love & encouragement!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...