I decided to take on the challenge of making them myself. I did some research on AllRecipes.com and found a recipe I liked. (Search for Lowcountry Shrimp and Cheese Grits) Ok, so they'll never live up to the restaurant-style above (i didn't use any butter or oil). But they were gooooooooood. Gerald said so.
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 5 ounces of garlic cheese spread
- 1 pound frozen shrimp (no tails) (i used the mini kind, you can opt for regular)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- fat free olive oil spray
- salt & pepper to taste
- Defrost shrimp in cool water.
- Bring water & salt to a boil. Add grits. Reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove grits from heat. Add garlic cheese spread. Mix well. Cover and let stand.
- Meanwhile, use olive oil spray to cook shrimp in skillet until heated through.
- Add tomatoes until heated through as well. Add salt & pepper.
- Spread grits on to plate and top with shrimp mixture. Serve with garlic bread!