Friday, October 29, 2010

Shrimp N' Grits

Shout out to my brother-in-law Benji Stoltzfoos who got me excited about Shrimp & Grits when he mentioned having them @ The Carlyle. (Awesome restaurant in DC, side note they have an amazing Sunday brunch). Since then I've been on a Shrimp & Grits kick. There is this restaurant at Broadway on the Beach called Key West Grille in Myrtle Beach that serves great Shrimp & Grits, I get them every time. Also, the ones at the Carlyle are awesome. Plus I had them the other night @ Annie Bailey's here in Lancaster. Love Love Love Shrimp & Grits.

I decided to take on the challenge of making them myself. I did some research on AllRecipes.com and found a recipe I liked. (Search for Lowcountry Shrimp and Cheese Grits) Ok, so they'll never live up to the restaurant-style above (i didn't use any butter or oil). But they were gooooooooood. Gerald said so.


Ingredients:

  • 3 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup quick-cooking grits 
  • 5 ounces of garlic cheese spread
  • 1 pound frozen shrimp (no tails) (i used the mini kind, you can opt for regular)
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • fat free olive oil spray
  • salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

  1. Defrost shrimp in cool water.
  2. Bring water & salt to a boil. Add grits. Reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Remove grits from heat. Add garlic cheese spread. Mix well. Cover and let stand.
  4. Meanwhile, use olive oil spray to cook shrimp in skillet until heated through.
  5. Add tomatoes until heated through as well. Add salt & pepper.
  6. Spread grits on to plate and top with shrimp mixture. Serve with garlic bread!
I would love to know that you visited my blog or tried out a recipe. Leave me some love & encouragement!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...