Monday, October 11, 2010

Tortilla Soup

Sundays are my signature "Slow Cooker Days". Usually small group comes over for dinner and I'm usually trying to finish up grading or just relax. I'd rather throw everything in a crock pot and let that do the work for me. Last week I made Tortilla Soup. Easy & Painless.


Ingredients:


  • 1 to 1.5 pounds of chicken
  • 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 10 oz can enchilada sauce
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 4 oz can chopped green chile peppers
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 14.5 oz can fat free chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 10 oz package frozen corn
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
  • 1 large bag of tostitos or fritos
  • 1 can of fat free sour cream
  • 2 cups of reduced fat cheddar or mexican blend shredded cheese

Directions:





  1. Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. 
  2. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
  3. Stir in corn and cilantro. 
  4. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours. 
  5. Shred chicken before serving.
I forgot to get a picture of the finished product. But what I did was pour the soup into individual bowls.  I top with a combination of fritos,(or tostito chips) sour cream, and shredded cheese. It's a great meal. 

I also included this great side salad which was just a combination of what I had in my fridge/cabinets; spinach, chopped tomatoes, raisins, craisins, & shredded carrots. Served with ranch or balsamic vinaigrette dressing.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...