Sundays are my signature "Slow Cooker Days". Usually small group comes over for dinner and I'm usually trying to finish up grading or just relax. I'd rather throw everything in a crock pot and let that do the work for me. Last week I made Tortilla Soup. Easy & Painless.
- 1 to 1.5 pounds of chicken
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 oz can chopped green chile peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups water
- 14.5 oz can fat free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 oz package frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 large bag of tostitos or fritos
- 1 can of fat free sour cream
- 2 cups of reduced fat cheddar or mexican blend shredded cheese
- Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker.
- Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in corn and cilantro.
- Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Shred chicken before serving.
I forgot to get a picture of the finished product. But what I did was pour the soup into individual bowls. I top with a combination of fritos,(or tostito chips) sour cream, and shredded cheese. It's a great meal.
I also included this great side salad which was just a combination of what I had in my fridge/cabinets; spinach, chopped tomatoes, raisins, craisins, & shredded carrots. Served with ranch or balsamic vinaigrette dressing.