Friday, December 3, 2010

Southwestern Casserole

I had been on a lil freezers pleasers hiatus. But don't worry, now I'm back! This Southwestern Casserole is really good. I added a lot of chili powder to make it spicy.


I like to use whole wheat pasta usually, but I went with elbow mac because it was on sale. I cut down the amount of ground beef the recipe called for and supplemented another can of red kidney beans instead. Mmmmmm Fiber!


Also, I had green onions in the fridge that I needed to use, so I chopped up a lot of them. As of recently I had never really cooked with green onions before (truth be told I didn't even know what they were). But now I use them a lot. 


FYI: Next time I would use less tomato paste.


Ingredients:
  • 7-8 oz of elbow macaroni
  • 1.5 pounds of extra lean ground beef
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 6 green onions, chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 cans of diced tomatoes w/ green chilies
  • 2 cans of red kidney beans
  • 1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
  • 1 tsp of cumin
  • chili powder
  • hot sauce
  • jalapeno peppers, diced
  • 2 cups of monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions:
  1. Cook macaroni according to box instructions
  2. Meanwhile in a large saucepan cook beef, onions, and garlic until cooked through
  3. Add tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, and seasonings
  4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
  5. Add drained macaroni to beef mixture
  6. Add to two casserole dishes
  7. Top with jalapeno and cheese
  8. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees, covered, for 30 minutes.
  9. Uncover and bake for 10 more minutes.
I would love to know that you visited my blog or tried out a recipe. Leave me some love & encouragement!

1 comment:

Lucy said...

Sounds nutrious and yummy---what kind of hot sauce do you use?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...