I like to use whole wheat pasta usually, but I went with elbow mac because it was on sale. I cut down the amount of ground beef the recipe called for and supplemented another can of red kidney beans instead. Mmmmmm Fiber!
Also, I had green onions in the fridge that I needed to use, so I chopped up a lot of them. As of recently I had never really cooked with green onions before (truth be told I didn't even know what they were). But now I use them a lot.
FYI: Next time I would use less tomato paste.
- 7-8 oz of elbow macaroni
- 1.5 pounds of extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes w/ green chilies
- 2 cans of red kidney beans
- 1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 1 tsp of cumin
- chili powder
- hot sauce
- jalapeno peppers, diced
- 2 cups of monterey jack cheese, shredded
I would love to know that you visited my blog or tried out a recipe. Leave me some love & encouragement!
- Cook macaroni according to box instructions
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan cook beef, onions, and garlic until cooked through
- Add tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, and seasonings
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Add drained macaroni to beef mixture
- Add to two casserole dishes
- Top with jalapeno and cheese
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 10 more minutes.