Sunday, December 5, 2010

Turkey Hash



Once a month we have an "open house" with our parents & students who are on the Gold Team. (I'm the Gold Team math teacher). We get together and answer any questions or concerns that our students' parents may have and then let them know what to expect during the school year. It's actually been really cool and a nice way to meet the parents. This month we did a potluck dinner. I had forgotten all about it until the day before so I just decided I would make the Turkey Hash casserole that I was planning on making for dinner that night anyway. I had to stay late after school to get my lesson ready for Friday, then I was running around all afternoon doing errands for church. I got home later than I would have wanted to. But I quickly got to work making the dish. I had all 4 burners going on the stove at the same time. I was boiling the potatoes, sauteing the onions in chicken stock, boiling the turkey breasts, and cooking the frozen peas/carrots all at once. It was quite comical to watch me, I'm sure. Plus I stink when it comes to potatoes. I don't really know what i'm doing. I had to google "how to cook potatoes". Then I had to try to cut them into cubes while they were still really really hot. It wasn't working, it was taking forever. I was taking them in and out of the boiling water trying to make it work, with a fork. They weren't cooked all the way, but I was still trying to cut them. It was basically a really awkward game of Hot Potato and I was the only one playing (and losing). Also, I usually buy precut celery & precut onions from Darrenkamps every week, which makes my life so much easier -- in the kitchen at least. This week we shopped at Giant because Darrenkamps is closed @ 11PM on Saturday nights. (which is really the only time they are ever closed) They don't have precut onions. So on top of my wasted time with the potatoes I had to spend excess time cutting onions, which I'm not any good at either. You'd think it's no big deal to chop an onion every now and then, but I cry like a baby every time. (Not because it's emotional, but because the fumes get to my eyes and I start crying a lot). So to make a long story short, I took forever to prepare the dish and then realized I had 25 minutes to get back to school in time for the gathering and the recipe called for 30 minutes in a preheated oven. I couldn't be late but I didn't want the food to go to waste. 


So, I took the prepared dish, covered it and left a note for my husband, "Be home late. Cook for 30 minutes @ 350...ENJOY!" I wound up stopping at Weis grabbing Chipotle Chicken Salad & Hummus and that was my contribution to the meal. It all worked out--my husband enjoyed the dish, there was a TON of food at the potluck, and I got to eat the leftovers of my turkey hash the next day for lunch. Don't you just love happy endings?


Suggestion: I didn't have enough potatoes, so I used some leftover Ore Ida Tater Tot Potatoes that I had in the freezer. I highly recommend using them instead of potatoes!


Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 3 cooked & diced potatoes
  • 3 tablespoons of chicken stock
  • 1 10 oz bag of frozen peas & carrots
  • 1 can of low fat cream of celery soup
  • 3/4 to 1 pound diced cooked turkey
  • 1 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
  • paprika


Directions:
  1. Saute onion in chicken stock in a large nonstick skillet until tender.
  2. Add turkey, soup, potato and peas.
  3. Place mixture in 1 quart nonstick casserole.
  4. Top with shredded cheese & paprika.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


I would love to know that you visited my blog or tried out a recipe. Leave me some love & encouragement!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...