Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Minestrone Soup

This makes two batches. If you don't want too much (12 to 14 servings) then cut servings in half. This is one of the (if not THE) best soup recipe I've ever made. So yummy, so flavorful, yet so healthy! I make a ton at once and freeze it for the weeks to come. Stolen from Freezer Pleasers, of course!

Nutritional Information (Serving Size: 1 Cup)

Calories: 235    Fat: Less than 1 gram      WW Points: 3.6   Points+: 5.5


Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 16 oz can of kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed & drained
2 cups of tomato juice
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 14.5 oz can beef broth
3 carrots, diced & halved (about 2 to 3 cups)
2 zucchini, diced & halved (about 2 cups)
1 tbsp italian seasoning
1.5 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup water
1 cup uncooked ziti


Directions:
In a large pot, cook the turkey, celery, onion, & garlic over medium heat.
Stir in tomatoes, beans, tomato juice, tomato sauce, broth, carrots, zucchini, Italian seasoning, salt, sugar, and pepper.
Raise heat. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover & simmer for 30 to 35 minutes (carrots should be tender).
If you want to freeze some or all, now is the time. Place in freezer container and freeze for up to 3 months.
If you want to eat now, add water & pasta and bring to boil.
Cover & cook until pasta is tender.
To use frozen soup thaw in fridge, then transfer to a large pot. Add water & pasta until soup boils. Cover & cook until tender.
Serve with Extra Dark hard sourdough pretzels. Yum!




What do you think? Comments? Suggestions? I would love to know that you visited my blog. Please leave me a message letting me know you were here! Did you try out a recipe? Let me know! I would love to hear from you :-)

2 comments:

Lucy said...

pretzels---interesting.
I think I have a pound of ground turkey in the freezer--maybe I'll try this (did you mean pork in the directions?)

Jill said...

Yes. You are a great editor, thanks! I fixed it. Actually, I make this a lot and the last few times I skipped the turkey altogether. It's delicious without it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...