Monday, April 16, 2012

Irish Beef Pies

I love Martha Stewart freezer recipes. I think all of her recipes are great, but they are always so involved, so when a good/simple one comes along, I embrace it. These Irish Beef Pies are easy to make ahead and serve for dinner during the week. There are great ways to enhance this recipe by adding garlic or paprika. But this is the traditional "Irish" pie recipe. I also would want to add onions or corn. Maybe some other veggies like carrots or celery but that's your call. Great recipe, makes 8 at a time. 


Ingredients:
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 head of cabbage (won't need all of it)
1 lb ground beef sirloin
1/2 lb red potatoes
1 tbsp of tomato paste (you can use more, but i'm not a fan)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup of water
1/2 tsp thyme
salt & pepper
2 pie crusts 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Shred the cabbage and cut the potatoes into tiny cubes.
In a sauce pan heat oil over medium heat.
Add cabbage & potatoes.
Cook for about 8 minutes until brown.
Then add beef and break up while cooking.
When they are no longer pink stir in tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, thyme, & water.
Cover, lower heat, and cook for about 15 minutes.
The potatoes need to be soft enough to mash.
After mashing with a fork season with salt & pepper.
Meanwhile, stretch out the pie crusts and split into 4 sections (use a pizza cutter).
Ideally you would want to make it more of a square then a circle, but I don't have time for that.
Place about 1/2 a cup of the filling on each square and seal up.
Crimp edges with a fork (if you're talented).

To Eat Now: Transfer pies to rimmed baking sheet (lined with foil) and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. You can rotate the pies after 5 minutes for even cooking.

To Freeze: After the insides cool, wrap in tin foil and place in freezer bags. I kept them in my freezer for about a month and used them regularly. No defrosting needed. 

To Eat From Freezer: Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.


BEFORE BAKING:


 AFTER BAKING:


Nutritional Information:


Carbs: 7.5
Calories: 362
Fat: 20
Points: 8.6
Points Plus+: 10


What do you think? Comments? Suggestions? I would love to know that you visited my blog. Please leave me a message letting me know you were here! Did you try out a recipe? Let me know! I would love to hear from you :-)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...