Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Vietnamese Spring Rolls

I hosted Cooking Club back in April and the theme was Asian-Inspired food. I decided to make Vietnamese Spring Rolls. They were really fun to make (pretty easy too) and they came out healthy & delicious.


I experimented with different types and different sauces/seasonings. Not all of the ingredients could be found out my locker grocery store, Darrenkamp's. But Stauffer's has an AMAZING international section. I found a ton of my ingredients there. 

You can switch up all types of ingredients. I used shrimp, but chicken would be great too or you can just do straight veggie. You can add different spices to the rice. You can also use as many different types of veggies as you like. Endless possibilities. 

  
Ingredients:
rice wrappers
shrimp, cooked & peeled
2 - 4 oz. vermicelli rice
fresh spinach leaves
alfalfa sprouts
shredded carrots
diced cucumbers

Directions:
Cook vermicelli rice according to package instructions. (Boil for about 3 to 5 minutes until al dente)

Drain & set aside. 
Next, prepare the rice wrappers. (this is the fun part!)
Fill a large bowl, pan, or dish with some warm mater. (It must be big enough for the wrappers).
Dip the wrappers in the water one at a time just for a few seconds so that it softens. It's really cool how the consistency changes and becomes pliable.

 

Then lay wrapper flat on a dish. 
In the center place a few spinach leaves.
Then top with a handful of rice and a couple shrimp. 
Place vegetables on top. 


Fold sides over and tightly roll up the wrapper.
Repeat with remaining ingredients. 


Serve with sauces. 



Here are pictures from the night to go with the theme. So fun!



What do you think? Comments? Suggestions? I would love to know that you visited my blog. Please leave me a message letting me know you were here! Did you try out a recipe? Let me know! I would love to hear from you :-)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...