Friday, July 1, 2011

Mexican Pot Pie





We had friends over putting in our new patio this past spring. (Thanks, guys!) They did an awesome job and we promised them a full meal for their help. So while they were working outside I was working in the kitchen to make this Mexican Pot Pie. It is from the Best of Pillsbury Bake-Off book. Yum! I wound up doubling the recipe and making two whole pies. (I had a lot of hungry men at my house). 


Instead of buying raw chicken and cooking it, I decided to take a short cut (no pun intended) and use the Purdue chicken breast Short Cuts - Southwestern Style. It seemed just too perfect (they were on sale) for me to pass up. 




Ingredients:
1 container of pie crusts (2 crusts per box)
1 package refrigerated southwestern-seasoned chicken breast strips, thawed
1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can kernel corn with red & green peppers, drained
1 can of whole black olives, drained & sliced
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup fat free sour cream
1 cup chunky-style medium salsa
2 cups shredded cheese, mexican-style
1 egg, beaten






Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare pie crust as directed in pie plate.
In a large bowl mix chicken, rice (uncooked), beans, corn, olives, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, sour cream, & salsa.
Pour into each crust-lined pie plate.
Top with second crust. 
Seal edges and attempt to make the edges fancy. (I didn't bother).
Cut slits in several places.
Brush top with beaten egg and top with parsley.
Bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Then cover edges of crust with foil and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes. (this prevents the edges from burning too much).
Let stand for a few minutes, then serve. 





What do you think? Comments? Suggestions? I would love to know that you visited my blog. Please leave me a message letting me know you were here! Did you try out a recipe? Let me know! I would love to hear from you :-)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...