Tuesday, April 12, 2011

April Fool's Cupcakes!

They may look like mashed potatoes! But they are REALLY chocolate cupcakes with lots of vanilla frosting. YUM!!! For more on cute cupcake tricks see my Meatloaf Cupcake post. 


This is a great idea even if it isn't April Fool's Day! But it was April Fool's so I had to come up with something. There are lots of great ideas out there. Some of the easy ones are the pound cake that looks like grilled cheese, the cupcakes that look like corn on the cob, and the fake fried egg


After tossing around different ideas, I finally settled on this one and I'm so glad I did. So cute!


Here's how it works...bake cupcakes (they can be from scratch or you can jus use cake mix from a box). I would recommend a light color that you can't see through vanilla icing. However, I used chocolate because it just tastes better! 


Once they cool cover with vanilla frosting. I used Pillsbury Dough Easy Frost which certainly made the process easy but did have maybe a different texture than regular mashed potatoes. So it's up to you. I think homemade frosting would probably look the best (but I'm all about he short cuts!) if you have time for that and know a good recipe.

Use a spoon to make a circle in the frosting in the middle of each cupcake. Fill each with caramel topping.

Meanwhile, in the microwave, place unwrapped yellow starburst candies and heat for about 10 to 20 seconds. You don't wan them to actually melt, just to soften. You take them and press them down so that they look more like butter. Place in the middle of the caramel puddle. It's ok if it oozes and overflows. Then drizzle with additional caramel giving the impression of gravy. 





What do you think? Comments? Suggestions? I would love to know that you visited my blog. Please leave me a message letting me know you were here! Did you try out a recipe? Let me know! I would love to hear from you :-)



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...