Sunday, September 26, 2010

Chicken & Dumplings

This dish is definitely outside of my comfort zone. But I'm so proud of how it turned out and surprised at how good it tasted. It feels like a good Lancaster County comfort dish and I don't really get excited about those. Don't get me wrong there are lots of Lancaster County foods I love (not hamloaf) but I don't know how to make any of them. That's what my mother-in-law is for! So I was pleasantly surprised with this outcome.



Ingredients

  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can reduced fat cream of chicken soup
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • fat free oil spray
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrots
  • 1 lb. chicken breast
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 cup sifted whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil



I'm not so sure if this picture looks appetizing -- but trust me they were good!

Directions

  1. In a large saucepan, stir together the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
  2. Spray cooking spray over medium-high heat cook chicken strips, onion, carrots and celery. Sautee until chicken is cooked through, and onions are tender. Transfer the chicken mixture to the soup pot, and mix well. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. Season with celery seed and black pepper.
  3. To Make Dumplings: In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of milk and 1 tablespoons of oil. Pour into the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
  4. Drop tablespoonfuls of the dumpling mixture into simmering chicken stew. Cover pot tightly, and bring to a boil. Simmer for another 12 to 15 minutes - without peeking! Ladle into bowls, and serve hot.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...