This recipe is from my favorite cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes. 5 years ago when I was getting married, I registered for a slow cooker on Amazon.com thinking that it was a nice luxury item to have. So I went ahead and registered for the cookbook also. My cousin got me both as a wedding gift and I was surprised to see how often I used both the crock pot and the recipe book.
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into thin slices
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 2 - 4 sweet peppers, variety of colors
- 1/2 cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 8 ounce bottle of taco sauce
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- any type of tortilla, preferably low fat, high fiber
- 3/4 cup shredded Montery Jack or Mexican flavored 2% cheese
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
So, this is what they looked like before I let them cook in the crock pot. Stay tuned for a finished version later in the week...
- In a 3.5 to 4 quart slower cooker combine zucchini, all peppers, onion, and celery. Top with chicken strips.
- In a small bowl combine taco sauce, bouillon granules, and cumin. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3.5 hours.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Divide chicken mixture evenly among warmed tortillas. Top with shredded cheese, tomatoes, sour cream (optional). Roll up & enjoy!