Saturday, September 11, 2010

Spicy Chicken Burritos Part 1

This recipe is from my favorite cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes. 5 years ago when I was getting married, I registered for a slow cooker on Amazon.com thinking that it was a nice luxury item to have. So I went ahead and registered for the cookbook also. My cousin got me both as a wedding gift and I was surprised to see how often I used both the crock pot and the recipe book. 


Ingredients:
  • 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into thin slices
  • 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • 2 - 4 sweet peppers, variety of colors
  • 1/2 cup celery, coarsely chopped
  • 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 inch strips
  • 8 ounce bottle of taco sauce
  • 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • any type of tortilla, preferably low fat, high fiber
  • 3/4 cup shredded Montery Jack or Mexican flavored 2% cheese
  • 2 small tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fat free sour cream

So, this is what they looked like before I let them cook in the crock pot. Stay tuned for a finished version later in the week...



Directions:

  1. In a 3.5 to 4 quart slower cooker combine zucchini, all peppers, onion, and celery. Top with chicken strips. 
  2. In a small bowl combine taco sauce, bouillon granules, and cumin. Pour over chicken.
  3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3.5 hours. 
  4. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Divide chicken mixture evenly among warmed tortillas. Top with shredded cheese, tomatoes, sour cream (optional). Roll up & enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...