Saturday, September 18, 2010

Spicy Zucchini Mexican Casserole

I live for the weekends. Though I enjoy my job & believe it's what I'm meant to do I really need time to recuperate from it. Being a school teacher, I look forward to getting time away from irrational middle-schoolers. I enjoy those jam-packed weekends full of fun, but really I just love weekends that are commitment-free. Then I use that time to cook up a storm in the kitchen. Today's Saturday Challenge was this casserole. (But only after I finished all my grading!) I found this one from AllRecipes.com which is one of my favorite websites. I've been using it for years even though I only started cooking seriously in the past 2 years. What's nice about it is the Recipe Box where I've stored some of my favorite recipes over the years. The Spicy Zucchini recipe is a newer one. I enjoy using it when I need leftovers to eat for lunch or when I'm making a dish for friends. It has a nice kick to it and it's pretty flexible. I use what's in the kitchen and deviate from the original recipe.




I love how colorful the dish gets as you add each ingrident.
       
       
 


Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 - 3 medium zucchinis, cubed
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 4 - 6 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 - 2 carrots, shredded
  • garlic salt
  • paprika
  • italian seasoning
  • red pepper
  • 6 - 12 oz of pasta or no yolk noodles
  • 15 oz can of northern beans
  • 1 1/2 cups of medium salsa
  • 1 cup 2% shredded mexican or cheddar cheese cheese


Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Bowl a large pot of water and add pasta or noodles. Cook according to package.
  3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, garlic, and onions; cook and stir until tender, about 10 minutes. 
  4. Season with garlic salt, paprika, italian seasoning, & pepper, and continue cooking and stirring until fragrant. 
  5. Mix in the beans and salsa and cook just until heated through. 
  6. Mix i pasta & mix in 2/3 cup of cheese until well blended. 
  7. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish and top with remaining Cheddar cheese. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.



Finished Product!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...