Monday, September 13, 2010

Skinny Baked Penne with Spinach

This recipe was stolen from Gina's Skinny Recipes and adapted to suit my needs. See her Low Fat Baked Ziti Recipe Here


When using other recipes, even if they are low fat already, I tried to cut out as much fat and calories as possible. I use a lot of low fat substitutes, like these:



Since I'm currently doing weight watchers again I'm looking for foods that are high in fiber like this penne pasta: 






I like to pre-cook my meals, when possible. So I made this on Sunday and my husband and I are eating it for lunch all week. It's healthy, good-tasting, and saves us money.


Finished Product


Ingredients:
  • Box of high fiber pasta such as Ronzoni Smart Taste (The grocery story didn't have ziti, so I used penne)
  • 28 oz crushed tomatoes
  • 1 small chopped onion
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 3 - 8 cloves of garlic, minced (I love garlic)
  • 2 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed
  • 1 tsp oregano or italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 8 oz fat-free ricotta
  • 1/4 cup low fat Parmesan
  • 1 cup part skim mozzarella
  • Fat free oil spray

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with oil spray.
  2. Cook pasta according to instructions until al dente.Drain and return to pot.
  3. In medium saucepan add olive oil and sauté garlic. Add chopped spinach, garlic salt, and chopped tomatoes. Season oregano, italian seasoning, and salt & pepper. 
  4. Add sauce to the pastaAdd 2/3 cup of Mozzarella Cheese, Parmesan cheese and Ricotta Cheese. Mix well. 
  5. Transfer to the baking pan.Top with the remaining mozzarella.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes, or until mozzarella is melted and the edges are lightly browned.

Sauce with Spinach
  

Pasta with Sauce & Cheese

    No comments:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...