Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hashbrown Vegetable Quiche

4+ years ago, when I first got married and started getting into cooking there were only 4 dishes that I ever made and I would refer to them as "this is the only dish I know how to make". They were Kielbasa Pasta, the Taco Bake, Chili, & Hashbrown Quiche. Now I'm happy to say that I've grown and I now make more than just these same 4 dishes. But Hashbrown quiche is still one of my favorites to make and I'll add I've really stepped up my game in the past 4 years :-). It's even better than when I made it years ago! Usually I try to make it pretty healthy using egg yolks or egg substitute instead of real eggs, i never use oil or butter. But I made it this weekend and threw all those healthy thoughts out the window. 


INGREDIENTS (1 Quiche):
  • 1 box of Betty Crocker seasoned skillets hashbrowns (or 1 package of frozen hashbrowns)
  • 1 to 2 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup of diced onions
  • 1/2 cup of diced celery
  • 1.75 cups of water
  • 1 package of frozen spinach, chopped
  • 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, part skim
  • 2-3 eggs
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • olive oil spray
  • 4 tablespoons of butter
  • italian seasoning (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Follow package directions for hashbrowns. Heat water & 2 tablespoons of butter in skillet and stir in package. Push into sides of skillet and cook until brown & crispy. (Hint: if using frozen hashbrowns, you want to dry them out as much as possible)
  2. Defrost spinach in a small microwave safe bowl. I usually put it in for 3 minutes. Remove from microwave and mach up with a fork.
  3. In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, cheese, salt, pepper, seasoning, & garlic.
  4. In another skillet saute zucchini, onions, & celery in 1 tablespoon of butter until brown & tender
  5. Add spinach, zucchini, onion, & celery to egg mixture and stir all together. 
  6. Spray an 8-inch pie dish with olive oil spray. Add hashbrown and press firmly into sides. 
  7. Drizzle the rest of the butter, melted, on top of the hashbrowns. Top with egg mixture.
  8. Cook in preheated oven for 30 minutes at 350.


I would love to know that you visited my blog or tried out a recipe. Leave me some love & encouragement!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm def. going to try this one! (and maybe the pepperoni 'n cheese ;) )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...