Sunday, February 27, 2011

Cheesy Onion Burgers (Veggie Or Not)


I have some Boca burger patties in my freezer that I wanted to find creative ways to cook with. I was looking up some recipes and found this simple burger recipe. My husband thinks boca burgers taste like cardboard and sometimes I have to agree. So I knew I wouldn't be able to make him boca burgers for dinner and get away from it. Luckily, our friends Jessie & Doug had brought us some fresh ground beef from their "shared" cow. (Yes, only in Lancaster County). I had this whole master plan of making a veggie burger for me and a regular burger for Gerald. But when I saw how good his burger turned out I scrapped that idea and made a real burger. They were delicious!!! Such good ground beef. (Big thanks to The Smokers!) I think in the near future when I want to be healthier I will try out this recipe for real, but for now the non-veggie burger is too delicious to pass up.



Ingredients:
3/4 cup diced sweet onion
1 tblsp of butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
2 Morningstar Farms veggie burgers, or 1/2 lb. ground beef made into meat patties
2 oz. thinly sliced Gruyere cheese or some alternative
Arnold thin's for hamburger bins.


I was recently introduced to gruyere cheese at cooking club last week. My friend Tara, made this great tomato bisque soup and put it on the top. I was looking for some at Darrenkamps and they only had this really expensive kind. They suggested using another imported Swiss close the flavor. Luckily the folks behind the Deli counter at D-Kamp's were knowledgeable enough to pick out the right kind for me.



Directions:
Heat butter in saucepan on medium-low heat.
Saute onions on hot butter, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, form beef into patties and cook in saucepan (or use the grill if the weather will allow it) using non-stick pray. Brown one side, flip, and cook/brown the other side.
Once cooked through (I don't like my burgers pink at all - just like my daddy!), top with cheese, cover with lid to help the cheese melt faster.
When cheese is melted, remove lid, top with onions, and place on a toasted bun or use Arnold's-brand Sandwich thins.
Serve with a side of steamed veggies.





What do you think? Comments? Suggestions? I would love to know that you visited my blog. Please leave me a message letting me know you were here! Did you try out a recipe? Let me know! I would love to hear from you :-)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...