Saturday, January 15, 2011

Crock Pot Corn Chowder

There is this cool website called A Year of Slow Cooking about a women who set a New Year's Resolution to cook, using her crock pot, every day in 2008. It's great because she has a TON of slow cooker recipes. There are desserts, drinks, entrees, soups, etc. All kinds of recipes. I found this corn chowder one and decided to give it a try.


I did this recipe a little differently. The original recipe has you throw everything into a slow cooker, cook for 4 hours, then puree the soup using a small hand mixer while the soup is hot. I didn't have the resources or the skill to do that. So I pureed everything in a blender first, then put it in the slow cooker and cooked it after everything was blended together. I was still happy with the results. You may want to add more seasoning, or garlic, or other types of vegetables. But the corn and potatoes is what gets it done. 


Ingredients:
2 quarts of low fat chicken broth
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced red pepper
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup shredded carrots
32 ounces of frozen corn
6 small white potatoes (i didn't peel mine, but you can choose to take the skins off of yours)
1/2 cup low fat shredded cheese (optional)
olive oil or fat free cooking spray
fresh parsley
salt & pepper

Directions:
Brown the onion in oil until cooked.
Add onion, red pepper, celery, carrots, broth, & corn into a blender and puree. You can do this in sections, if needed.
Add potatoes and blend more. 
It should be a creamy consistency and there shouldn't be too many lumps. 
Transfer to slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 8 to 9 hours.
When ready to serve top with cheese & parsley, add salt & pepper to taste. 
Serve with toast. 







What do you think? Comments? Suggestions? I would love to know that you visited my blog. Please leave me a message letting me know you were here! Did you try out a recipe? Let me know! I would love to hear from you :-)

1 comment:

Lucy said...

Look at you--getting all fancy with the presentation.
I was surprised that you were able to get the potatoes pureed when they were still raw--maybe another way would be to use canned potatoes that are already cooked.
I just added that blog to my google reader.
Your dad wouldn't like this--he's not into corn chowder. I did feed him lobster bisque last night and he liked it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...