Monday, January 31, 2011

Green Bean Chicken Casserole


Another great recipe from my Freezer Pleasers book! You really just need to buy this book already. I get so many great recipes from this. This recipe makes two casseroles. One to eat now, one to freeze for later. So adjust if you want to just eat one now. 


I didn't grow up eating green bean casseroles. I think the first time I ate one was in college. At least that's what I remember. It seems like a staple dish for holiday gatherings, but I've never made it before until now. It was very easy to make. And even easier to freeze and heat up. I know those french-fried onions are so bad for you. But they just make the dish. Yum!

Ingredients:
1 6 oz. package of wild rice
4 cups of cooked and cubed chicken
2 cups frozen French-style green beans (I used canned green beans)
1 can reduced fat, condensed cream of chicken soup (I hate cream of mushroom)
1 can reduced fat, condensed cream of celery soup
2/3 cup chopped onions
2/3 cup chopped green pepper
1 envelope of onion soup mix
3/4 cup shredded Colby cheese
1 can of french-fried onions

Directions:
Cook rice according to package directions.
In a large bowl or pot combine the rice with chicken, beans, soups, onions, green pepper, and soup mix.
Transfer to two greased/sprayed 1.5 qt baking dishes.
Top with cheese.


To eat now...
Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Uncover, sprinkle with french-fried onions and bake 5 minutes longer. Onions should be golden-brown.


To eat later...
Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready, completely that in fridge. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking.
Cover and bake at 350 for 60 to 65 minutes. 
Uncover, sprinkle with french-fried onions and bake 5 minutes longer. Onions should be golden-brown.


What do you think? Comments? Suggestions? I would love to know that you visited my blog. Please leave me a message letting me know you were here! Did you try out a recipe? Let me know! I would love to hear from you :-)






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...