Saturday, January 15, 2011

Poker Night Cheesy Taco Dip


Now that I'm in good standings with the library again (long story) I've been checking out cookbooks. One of them that I borrowed was Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes - Family Favorites. This recipe was inspired by one of the recipes I found in the dip section. Gerald had the guys over to cook meat in the smoker all day (who says guys can't cook!?!?) and watch football. I decided to hide in the kitchen all evening to avoid all the testosterone. They had ribs and chicken cordon bleu wrapped in bacon. They were showing off all their creations to me and when it was ready to eat they just went to town and devoured it all. It was comical it reminded me a little bit of the epic meat videos I had seen on youtube. The chicken cordon bleu is below, isn't it a beauty? I can't take credit for it, it was all my husband and his friends. 



I wanted to cook something that complimented the meat. Literally, that's all they had...meat. No side dishes, no salad, no starch, no veggies. Just meat. So I attempted to make salad & cornbread, but got distracted. I just made this dip instead to make sure they had all 4 food groups covered. I modified it based on what I had in the kitchen and it turned out to be a delicious, creamy, cheesy, tasty, masterpiece. Oh and despite the name, we did not play any poker that night. 


Ingredients:
1/2 pound of extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
1/2 cup shredded mexican cheese (Sargento was buy one, get one free this week)
1 can of fat free refried beans
1 package of taco seasoning (or maybe just 3/4 of the package)
4 oz of reduced fat cream cheese
1 triangle slice of laughing cow light cheese (i used this instead of cream cheese, you can just use additional ounces of cream cheese)
1/2 cup of onions
green chilies, diced
1 or 2 bag of Fritos Scoops



Directions:
Turn slow cooker on low.
Cook the ground beef and brown. Mash up the ground beef into really small pieces (see picture)
Mix sour cream, taco seasoning, cheese, & beans in a medium sized small cooker and stir together.
Stir in beef, onions &, chilies.
Then add cream cheese & laughing cow cheese, cut them into chunks first. They won't be mixed in right away, wait until they melt a little bit.
Cook on low for 2 to 3 hours. The cheeses will start to melt and you can stir and mix everything together 2 or 3 times while cooking.
Serve warm when everything is melted with fritos. 


I didn't get any good pictures, here is the dip after we started eating it. As you can see we ran out of fritos, so we switched over to doritos. The dip was a hit!








What do you think? Comments? Suggestions? I would love to know that you visited my blog. Please leave me a message letting me know you were here! Did you try out a recipe? Let me know! I would love to hear from you :-)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...